Saturday, November 13, 2021

Grandma Petrey's Pumpkin Pie

My Grandma Petrey handed this recipe down to my Aunt Barbara and it was then passed down to me. 

I will have additional tweaks at the end to cut back the sugar and carbs. 

 Preheat oven to 425 degrees. 

Ingredients: 

2 eggs 
1 one-lb can of pumpkin. [not pumpkin pie mix] 
3/4 Cup packed brown sugar 
1/2 teaspoon salt 
3 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice 
1 12oz. can evaporated milk 

1 deep dish frozen pie crust, thawed/defrosted. 

 Mix first 5 ingredients thoroughly, then mix in evaporated milk. Mix well. Pour into pie crust. [should be some left over.] 

 Bake in pre-heated 425 degree oven for 15 min., then LOWER TEMP to 350 degrees and bake for 50min. 

 Check for doneness by inserting a sharp knife in the center. If it comes out clean, it's done. If not, continue to bake and check at 5min. increments til done. 

My tweaks for lower carbs and sugar: 

 *I subbed out equal amount of Swerve brown sugar for regular brown sugar. 
*I do not use a pie crust at all and put it in a glass deep dish pie pan. There is no leftover pie filling this way, also.

No comments: