Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Texas Chili

This recipe started as a recipe by a woman online named Dottie. I have changed it considerably so I am reposting here the version of it I now use:


1 pound ground beef
1 pound diced steak or stew meat
2 large yellow onions – diced
2 cans (14.5 ounce) cut diced tomatoes
2 cans (8 ounce) tomato sauce
2 cans (14 ounce) beef broth
3 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground oregano

1 teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Shredded Cheddar cheese
Sour Cream

Brown ground beef, steak and onions, breaking it up as you go. Drain well.

Add spices and continue to cook until meat is well coated.

Add the remaining ingredients.

Reduce heat, cover and simmer for at least 30 minutes or until reduced slightly.

Add water or more broth if needed.

Serve hot with shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream.







* I have made this recipe all the way to the meat/onions and seasonings then froze it. I packed it in a cooler, took the canned items with me and finished the chili about the 2nd or 3rd day we were camping. It is a great and consistent recipe.

No comments: